Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Is this a pinched nerve or something else?


Occasionally patients come in with the complaint of pinched nerve but most often it is not a true case of nerve impingement. The most common area is the neck with pain shooting down the upper back and arm and sometimes to the hand. There are multiple issues that can have similar symptoms that need to be ruled out. For instance since the nerves existing the neck region go to the muscles of the upper back and shoulder as well as the arm, forearm and hands, any IRRITATION (not necessarily impingement) in that area can lead to pain in those areas. Also, lactic acid build up can cause false pain in the region. While the first rib should start at the very first thoracic (mid back) vertebra, occasionally it may start where the last cervical (neck) vertebra ends. If the area is inflamed and the muscles are tight in that area, one may experience similar symptoms. The best thing to do is to come in and get checked. Depending on your examination, the cause of your problem (vs just the symptoms of your impingement) is addressed. At my office, I give life style recommendations, including proper sleeping methods (for that you'd need to bring in your pillow so I get to see how you use your pillow) are made so you don't feel the pain again.

Shoot an email or call me at the office if you have any questions. Check me out and my office at 


http://ensurewellness.com
Providing Chiropractic, Massage, Functional/Hormone therapy/Nutritional counseling/EFT/Cold Laser

1 comment:

  1. I have been telling the doctors for years that I had severe head pain and it was not a migraine. I have had a pinched nerve from a back injury from nursing 5 years ago.

    ReplyDelete